Friday, September 18, 2009

What are you willing to do to win?

One class period we talked about what athletes were willing to do to win a game. The story of a baseball player was told by his coach to hit a batter on the other team. I am glad to hear that he refused. Which got me thinking, just how far would you go to win? From the first day i started playing competitive sports in second grade, I was told that winning is everything. Losing is never fun! Winning is what you work hard for day in and day out. When I was younger and in little league, my coach told me to hit a the next batter, and I told him to go fly a kite ( I did use more adult language, however). I left the field after that and told my dad. My dad was proud of me and told my coach off. My coach got kicked out of the league and my dad became coach for the rest of the season. What if I had listened to my coach at that time? I'm glad I didn't, because if I did, I don't know if I could live with myself today. I'm the type of person that doesn't want or wish that anyone gets hurt, even on a team I can not stand. There have been other cases of coaches ordering players to intentionally hurt opposing players. I remember a couple of years ago Head coach John Cheney at temple University told his player to hurt an opposing player. He later got fired for that. There are people out there who would hurt another player intentionally to win a game. That is completely wrong, if you can't win on a level playing field (with the opposing team not injured by your team) then you deserve to lose and be baned from sports for life!

2 comments:

  1. That took a lot of guts to stand up to your coach (especially if you used "adult language") when he instructed you to hit another player. I am glad that you were able to do that. Fortunately, he was replaced for making that suggestion. Unfortunately, that is not always the case, which means that a culture of harm is often perpetuated.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah great job doing that. My Dad told me the same situation happened with him in little league and he actually did it because he had always been taught to listen to adults. When he told my grandma what happened she did what your dad did and that coach never coached little league again. In the end winning is not everything, although know one wants to lose who really wants to win the wrong way?

    ReplyDelete